.

.

Monday, August 6, 2012

This week on Jean: Jean gets a little personal as we return from our blog break. And a home made recipe for Rhubarb Custard Kuchen.


Jean is old order Mennonite from New York State. Jean and her husband David and family live on a dairy farm, and travel their community using horse and buggy. She tells her story exclusively on Amish Stories.



Some of the questions this month are about tourists and Old Order Mennonite personalities.  We have different personalities like all people do.  Some people like having tourists and people buy from them.  Some act like they are doing you a favor for selling you something.  Also, we all have bad days.


Please keep your questions coming for Jean



For instance my Father is worried about the expenses that David and I have had because of the fire, my being hospital, taking on another child and more.  My Father wanted me to be released from the hospital a few days earlier than the doctor did because of the expenses.  David put a stop to that.  It is not that my Father is a mean man-he is not, but he had to raise many children and money was tight. Also, my Father's personality is stricter than David's.  That was the way he was brought up and the way he is.  On the other hand, at a time of need, my Father would be the first one there.




So if you are a tourist some place and you stop at an Old Order Mennonite or Amish place of business-all people are different.  We don't have many tourists at our home because it is off the main highways.  Although I have dealt with many tourists at the Farmers Market and Veteran's Farmer's Market.  I have always tried to be friendly.  Even then they are some customers who really test your patience.  Not very often, but some.




I think most, if not all, of the Old Order Mennonite try to be friendly with tourists.  There purchases are part of our income.  Women, I think, are more friendly with tourists than men because men don't deal with tourists as much as women. But there are exceptions to the rule.  David can be kinder to a person giving us a hard time that I am.  Also, some men go to Farmers Markets to sell their goods and women are at home. 




Marilyn has told me of a case where she was buying from an Amish lady who was very cold to her.  She wouldn't talk unless she had to.  Again, in another place there was a lady who was very nice and willing to go out of her way to help her.  Different people, different personalities. 




We do have some people stop at the stand we have in front of our house.  Most of the people that buy there are people that have know us for many years.  I am teaching Susan to be nice to people that stop.  If I am busy David or Michael or Edward will sell to the people that stop.  Most of the time we have jar and the people pay for what they buy by putting money in the car. Yes, we have had the jar stolen, but we put it in God's hands.  It has happened very often. 




We do not really care for the media when they come around to take pictures.  We will turn our backs or explain that we do not want our pictures taken whether media or tourists.  Most people understand, but some don't. 




So if you go some place and meet either Old Order Mennonite or Amish that are not as kind as you feel they should be.  It could be their personality or they are having a bad day.  Say a little prayer for them.
Be With God,
Jean


Home made recipe from Jean        
Rhubarb Custard Kuchen

1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg white plus 2 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cream (sweet or sour)
1/4 tsp salt
4 cups rhubarb, cut up


Crust: Cream butter, 1/4 cup sugar: add egg yolk and mix well.  Add flour and salt; mix well.  Press into bottom and up side of 9X13" pan.  Sprinkle crust with 1 Tbsp flour, and 1 Tbsp sugar mixed together.  Cover with 4 cups rhubarb, cut up. 
Custard: Beat 1 egg white plus 2 eggs; add 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1/2 cup cream, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp nutmeg (optional).  Pour over rhubarb and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until knife comes out clean.

www.PureCountryLiving.com

I've created this website out of my own interest in the Amish/Mennonite culture and of living in the country. Its a place for people who are interested in the Amish like myself, and its also a place to share Images of the beautiful country side that is all around me. my name is Richard, and I live very close to an Amish settlement here in Pennsylvania. This site is dedicated to my mother, who had started all of this by taking me as a child to Lancaster,pa from our apartment in the Bronx projects..........THANK YOU MOM............... Richard