.

.

Friday, July 27, 2012

Moses Stolzfoos: The Amish hat maker. With a recipe for Pennsylvania Dutch Meat Loaf.



Well my post about Moses the Amish hat maker is finally here, and even I have to admit that its about time ! Before I stopped in to talk with Moses I would pass by and take a mental note that I needed to stop in one day and see if I can take some pictures and talk with the folks that owned this Amish hat business, and that moment happened last year.

So when I traveled down the long driveway of Irishtown Hats I noticed a man and woman both Amish sitting outside eating what looked like meatloaf and mashed potatoes, with a side of vegetables. I notice things like that folks as I'm sure your very aware of,lol, so they appeared to be having an early lunch at 11 am, so not to spoil a good lunch I told them that I would be back in an hour which they agreed to.  
After about an hour I did return and was welcomed by Moses and explained to him why I was there and wanted to see if he had a little time to spend talking about his business and allowing me to take pictures for Amish Stories. I was pleased that he seemed eager to show me around and to be honest with everyone I never know how something like this is going to go because I've had some not so good experiences in these type of cold call visits, so I was now in and wanted to make the most of my visit here.


A little back ground on Moses Stolzfoos: Moses started Irishtown Hats in 1999 after retiring from has days as a farmer, Irishtown Hats was an established hat making business before Moses decided to buy it. Since Moses had no experience making hats the previous Amish owner stayed over to help train until he was ready to make a go of it on his own. 

And Moses seems very content making and selling hats from his farm and business is pretty good selling and restoring for his Amish customers, and his wife does the sewing so it’s a very cozy family business so it looks like it works very well. 

I think there's something to be said for rolling out of bed and going to work which had always been a dream of mine but sadly I was never able to do myself, so for me its nice seeing someone else being able to do that. This is also a working farm that Moses son now handles with his dad now retired and working full time in the hat shop, so it’s a complete family run operation which I admit have a big soft spot for.   

The hat shop




Hat making equipment


A nice window letting in the sun and a view of the corn field


The sewing area where you will find Moses wife spending most of the time at the shop

More of the hat making area, notice the gas lighting above.

Most hats here waiting to be finished with tags on each hat as there Amish owners wait for their hats! 

Finished hats and ready for customers

Close-up of the classic Singer sewing machine used by Mrs. Stoltzoos
A good view of the shop and most of the equipment used

I'm not too sure what exactly is, but it looks Important! 
      

The long driveway leading out from the Stoltzfoos farm and IRISHTOWN HATS. Which really shows that you never know what lies beyond a long country drive-way, and what kind of folks that will be there to hopefully greet you..................


At the time (last year) I was with Moses and IRISHTOWN HATS the price for a new hat (felt) was around $80.00, and for a reconditioned hat the price was about $40.00 (my personal  favorite and a good buy). 

I will have all the Information needed (see business card below) if anyone would like to write Moses and find out how much a certain hat costs and for the shipping. Moses does ship UPS. 

I did receive his phone number which is a cell phone used for family or emergencies so because of that fact I'm only giving out the information that is on  his business card folks. 

Pennsylvania Dutch Meat Loaf



1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
1 (8 ounce) can Hunt's tomato sauce, divided
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3/4 cup water
2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
1 tablespoon vinegar

In a medium bowl, lightly mix beef, bread crumbs, onion, green pepper, 1/2 can tomato sauce, egg, salt and pepper. Shape into a loaf in a shallow baking pan.

Combine remaining tomato sauce with remaining ingredients. Pour over loaf. Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 1/4 hours. Baste the loaf several times during baking.

Yield: 6 servings  

www.PureCountryLiving.com

I've created this website out of my own interest in the Amish/Mennonite culture and of living in the country. Its a place for people who are interested in the Amish like myself, and its also a place to share Images of the beautiful country side that is all around me. my name is Richard, and I live very close to an Amish settlement here in Pennsylvania. This site is dedicated to my mother, who had started all of this by taking me as a child to Lancaster,pa from our apartment in the Bronx projects..........THANK YOU MOM............... Richard