.

.

Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Longest Covered Bridge in the world.



I sort of bumped into the existence of this bridge while doing a search on covered bridges. I've always been a very big fan of them, and now living in the state of Pennsylvania i have access to many examples of these pieces of american history. Since I've been back north I've yet to explore and take any images of my local covered bridges, so i hope to post something on Amish stories about some of them along with pictures. Incase some of you folks didn't know, the bridge featured here is called the Hartland bridge. It spans 1,282 feet making it the longest covered bridge in the world. Its located in Brunswick, Canada.The bridge opened in July 4,1901 .The tolls for crossing the bride in 1901 were as follows,three cents for pedestrians, six cents for a single horse and wagon,and twelve cents for a double team.Max height clearance 13'-9" and max vehicle weight 10 tonnes.If anyone has any images of covered bridges in your area, and you would like to share them please feel free in sending me them, and i will post them at a certain point when i do that post on covered bridges. If anyone would like to share a story about your covered bridge, please post a comment. Richard Amish stories. (Hartland bridge images credit cmh2315fl of flickr)(source the town of Hartland,Canada web site.)

www.PureCountryLiving.com

I've created this website out of my own interest in the Amish/Mennonite culture and of living in the country. Its a place for people who are interested in the Amish like myself, and its also a place to share Images of the beautiful country side that is all around me. my name is Richard, and I live very close to an Amish settlement here in Pennsylvania. This site is dedicated to my mother, who had started all of this by taking me as a child to Lancaster,pa from our apartment in the Bronx projects..........THANK YOU MOM............... Richard