.

.

Monday, June 11, 2012

This week on Jean: Some questions about Michael are answered, and life on the farm Is not all work. Plus a homemade recipe.

Jean is old order Mennonite from New York State. Jean and her husband David and family live on a dairy farm, and travel their community using horse and buggy. She tells her story exclusively on Amish Stories.


Jean is now accepting more questions about her old order Mennonite lifestyle, so please feel free to post your questions and Jean will answer them in future post's. Thanks folks. Richard




One of the questions recently asked  is "why Michael goes to a different school than Susan".  David and I are Foster Parents and Micheal came to us as a Foster Child.  Being a Foster Child we have to go by the rules of the State of New York which means he must go to public school.  Susan and David Jr are David and mine natural children so she goes to our Old Order Mennonite School.  


David and I are in the process of adopting Michael.  When our adoption goes through, which we believe is in October or November, then we can decide on his education.  Our schools (old order Mennonite/Amish)  go to the 8th grade where the public school goes for 12.  Michael wants us to take him out of school when the adoption goes through as he will be finishing 9th grade in the public school in a few more weeks, but this is a matter we will discuss after the adoption goes through.


We recently got one of Michael's friends at school to our home as a Foster Child.  His Grandmother went to the hospital.  She has cancer and it does not look well for her right now, but she is in God's hands so He will decide.  We don't know how long Michael's friend will be staying but he is more than welcome here.


When school gets out the children there are chores for them to do.  We have the usual feeding the animals, milking the cows, now we have the planting of the crops and the harvesting of what is ready, which will keep Michael and David busy.  Susan and I will be taking care of our  planting of  the flowers, selling at our stand in front of the house, canning, mowing the lawn, weeding the garden  between the flowers and more.  This in  addition to cleaning the house, washing clothes , sewing, cooking and more.   To start the bake sales season of this year Martha and her girls are taking over for me and I will do some baking at home.


I recently went to the doctor check up and he felt going two the bake sales would be a strain on me.  He does allow me to ride in the buggy.  I tried again just a short way and it still bothers me so right now Im only go on the buggy on short trips.  I can resume some more house chores, but he still doesn't want me to pick up David Jr.  It is hard on me because David Jr. wants me to lift him and I have to call maude (maid) or Michael or my husband.  I will be doing some of the baking for bake sales, but as I said, Martha and her daughters will go to the Farmers Market and the Veteran's Bake Sale for me. 


When it comes to my garden Susan helps me pull out what vegetables she can, but Michael or David have to pull the rest.  Sometimes if our maude has time she pulls them.  Soon, we will be into strawberry season and I will not be picking.  David said not to worry about it, but I do.  When I do canning, David's Mother and my Mother will be here to help maude and I.  What is in our favor is that Michael's friend that is staying at our home has worked  on farms so he is working with Michael and David.  We also found that he likes to cook-and is very good at it especially considering he is fourteen years old. 


I don't want you to think we always work.  We brought Michael's basket ball hoop up from the basement so he and his friends use that. Michael and his friends also play baseball at Martha's house (they have more room that we do).   We also go on walks. David and Michael have been fishing a few times this year already.  Sometimes we sit on the porch or in the living room eating popcorn and drinking soda.  


We also play some games inside.  Susan plays with her friends-playing house, or school.  They also go to the park and swing on the swings and slide down the slide.  This year David thinks it would be nice if we got a Crockett set.  So we are not always working, we do stop and enjoy ourselves.  
Be With God, Jean
                        

With fishing season in force-I thought you might like this recipe.  Jean



Fish Gumbo
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 medium green pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 28 oz can tomatoes ( I used fresh tomatoes I have canned)
1 15oz can okra
1 cup water
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp salt
1 lb fish fillet, cut in bite size pieces
2 cups cooked rice
Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat.  Add onions, green pepper and celery.  Cook until tender (3-4minutes).  Add tomatoes, okra, water, thyme and salt.  Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add fish and cook 10 minutes or until fish is easily flaked.  Spoon 1/2 cup hot rice into bowls and fill with fish mixture.

www.PureCountryLiving.com

I've created this website out of my own interest in the Amish/Mennonite culture and of living in the country. Its a place for people who are interested in the Amish like myself, and its also a place to share Images of the beautiful country side that is all around me. my name is Richard, and I live very close to an Amish settlement here in Pennsylvania. This site is dedicated to my mother, who had started all of this by taking me as a child to Lancaster,pa from our apartment in the Bronx projects..........THANK YOU MOM............... Richard