.

.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Recipe of the week: "Lemon Shoofly Pie" From Amish fiction writer Wanda Brunstetter

Lemon Shoofly Pie


Ingredients for crumbs:

1 1/2 cup flour

1/2 cup white sugar

1/2 cup shortening or butter, softened

1/2 teaspoon baking soda



Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients and work together like crumbs.



Ingredients for filling:

1 egg

Zest of 2 lemons

Juice of 2 lemons, strained

2 tablespoons flour

1/2 cup white sugar

1/2 cup molasses

3/4 cup boiling water

1 unbaked pie shell



Combine all the ingredients together and pour into an unbaked pie shell. Sprinkle crumbs evenly on top of filling. Bake for 45-60 minutes. For info on how  to  order Wanda's book  please go to www.wandabrunstetter.com. Posted with permission from Wanda Brunstetter.   Richard from Amish Stories

www.PureCountryLiving.com

I've created this website out of my own interest in the Amish/Mennonite culture and of living in the country. Its a place for people who are interested in the Amish like myself, and its also a place to share Images of the beautiful country side that is all around me. my name is Richard, and I live very close to an Amish settlement here in Pennsylvania. This site is dedicated to my mother, who had started all of this by taking me as a child to Lancaster,pa from our apartment in the Bronx projects..........THANK YOU MOM............... Richard