.

.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Recipe of the week : Corn Fritters. A Lancaster county favorite.


Corn Fritters
1 15 oz can Cope’s Heat & Serve corn, drained***
2 Tbsp flour
¼ tsp baking powder
1 pinch salt
2 eggs


Mix unbeaten eggs, flour, salt, and baking powder with drained corn. Fry in shortening or butter. Serve with butter, syrup, or apple butter.



***Note: Corn Fritters may be made with Dried Corn as follows: To one cup (5oz) dried corn, add 3 cups boiling water. Let soak 2 hours. Cook ½ hour, drain. Then add 2 tsp sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1 egg, beaten, 1 tsp baking powder, 2 Tbsp flour. Mix and fry in shortening or butter on both sides until brown. Serve with syrup or butter.
Makes 8 servings.


. John copes dried corn has been a local Lancaster favorite since 1900. In fact i would say that most of the restaurants serving Amish style fare In the Pennsylvania Dutch area serves their dried corn. I've been eating this corn now since i was a child, and if you were to look in my kitchen cabinet, you would see a few cans and a packet of their delicious corn. Amish Stories recieved permission to post all of the companies corn based recipes from the John Cope foods company. If your area of the country does not sell their products, feel free to e-mail me and ill give you the information on how to order. Amishstories@hotmail.com Richard from Amish Stories.

www.PureCountryLiving.com

I've created this website out of my own interest in the Amish/Mennonite culture and of living in the country. Its a place for people who are interested in the Amish like myself, and its also a place to share Images of the beautiful country side that is all around me. my name is Richard, and I live very close to an Amish settlement here in Pennsylvania. This site is dedicated to my mother, who had started all of this by taking me as a child to Lancaster,pa from our apartment in the Bronx projects..........THANK YOU MOM............... Richard