.

.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Recipe of the week: Pennsylvania Dutch Chicken Corn Soup, with some Images from Tom of one of New York's Amish communities


A real picture of a  Swartzentruber Amish buggy  from New York State that was sent in by a reader a while back, and that I have used on Amish Stories one time before. So I wanted to do something a little different and turn this Image into a water color painting (Art)   using  photo editing.I think it came out pretty good! 




Reader Tom had sent me 2 sets of Images from his own Amish community in upstate New York, so this is the first of those sets with the second one having some very nice buggy Images and farm scenery from one of New York's Amish settlements.  I decided to add this well done video showing some of what Tom sees driving the back roads of New York's country side.   Richard




                                 Video Of an Amish community in New York State.
Tom writes:
There is a Swartzentruber settlement in the Pulaski NY area. This is in Oswego County along the east end of Lake Ontario. These pictures were taken over July 4, 2012.




There are going to be a lot of tomatoes coming off this field.


I find it difficult to meet and engage Swartzentrubers in conversations so I only know what I see in this area. In more progressive areas it is easier to talk to folks.
  


Tom explains that compared to Amish homes in Lancaster Pa, most of the homes in New York State are much less fancy and very simple like in this picture.     





  "A night journey"  

A real Image of an Amish buggy from myself in  Lebanon,Pa that I made into a stencil using photo editing as well. 




Pennsylvania Dutch Chicken Corn Soup


1 (4 pound) chicken
4 quarts water
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup celery
2 1/2 cups fresh or canned corn
2 hardboiled eggs, chopped
Salt and pepper

Simmer chicken in salted water slowly until it is cooked tender. Remove chicken and strain broth. Add corn to broth and bring to a boil. Cut pieces of chicken and celery into bite-size pieces, and add to broth along with onion. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes.

Five to 10 minutes before serving, add hardboiled egg and rivels made by mixing 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup milk and 1 egg with a fork until the dough is the size of peas. Simmer for 5 minutes. Recipe from www.Recipegoldmine.


www.PureCountryLiving.com

I've created this website out of my own interest in the Amish/Mennonite culture and of living in the country. Its a place for people who are interested in the Amish like myself, and its also a place to share Images of the beautiful country side that is all around me. my name is Richard, and I live very close to an Amish settlement here in Pennsylvania. This site is dedicated to my mother, who had started all of this by taking me as a child to Lancaster,pa from our apartment in the Bronx projects..........THANK YOU MOM............... Richard