.

.

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Part 2: Lancaster on four wheels: Exploring the Lancaster country side as I call upon the classic TV show Route 66 for inspiration


Welcome to part 2 of this post and I'm pretty sure most who have already visited the Lancaster area have tried some shoofly pie and pot pie, and to me the 2 businesses that are in my photos here are two of the best at what they do. 



Since I've literally grew-up here almost every place that I stop at has a special memory to me, and what may be just a picture to someone else really means something much more to me. And I realize that much more now  as time slips by, and times passing is unstoppable.  Richard


For years I've heard of Zooks pot pies yet never tried them until early this year, folks trust me they are really good at what they do and now I try and stop over when I can and pick one up. Chicken being my favorite, and at some point I will attempt to ask this Amish family business if I could take a few pictures and find out a little about the history of Zooks pies.



Picking -up a shoofly here is a must if you love this kind of pie
One of the buildings that most have remembered on their visits to Lancaster Pennsylvania.



The Dutch Haven has been around since 1946 so to me its a Lancaster institution that has endured many changes over the years. Some changes were good while others I think not so much, but its the shoofly pies that we all have come to love regardless if your a local or not. For many years the Dutch Haven had a restaurant which for the most part was very good, but all of that changed around 1989 as the place closed and remained closed for a few years until the current owners bought the place. 

Sadly what remains of where  the restaurant had been is now filled with the usual  tourist trinkets, but the really good stuff sits within an eyes reach being the Dutch Havens shoofly pies and root beer. And I'm really happy to report that's its shoofly still drives me crazy much like it did when I was a kid, and tasting it warm slaps a big smile on a grown mans face-priceless!  




Strong Root Beer that requires a acquired taste.

No caption needed, just fill in the blanks........
I will let this picture do all the talking..........


Would an honor system like this  for these farm eggs work  in say "New York City"
A quiet moment that I wont disturb!


The Mustang and me just taking a break and enjoying the view.
Two horses side by side, with one that eats grass while the other craves gas! 

The sun seems to take a brief break overlooking the Lancaster farmlands




Amish farm in the background with their homes seemingly expanding every month to make room for  growing Amish families.


The best image taken for part 2 as I had  patiently waited for this buggy to enter my line of sight on a slight hill.



The Mustang was hungry so I stopped for some feed, or should I say "greed" with gas almost being 4.00 a gallon at the time these images were taken!


And now the end of the road, with the mustang receiving a bath and me gaining some fulfillment, we both win...........

“Adventure is a path. Real adventure – self-determined, self-motivated, often risky – forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind – and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.” – Mark Jenkins

Oatmeal Raisin Whoopie Pies

Prep: 15 mins
Cooking:14 mins
Level: Easy
Cooling: 10 mins

Yields: 24 (2 dozen cookie sandwiches)

2 pkgs. (16.5 oz. each) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Refrigerated
    Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Bar Dough
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, at room temperature
4 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

PREPARE cookies according to package directions. Cool completely.

BEAT cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and cinnamon in small mixer bowl until smooth.

PLACE about 1 tablespoon filling on flat side of 1 cookie; top with flat side of second cookie to make a sandwich. Repeat with remaining cookies and filling. Store in covered container in refrigerator.
 From www.Recipegoldmine.com

The Amish series continues next Friday with part 6

www.PureCountryLiving.com

I've created this website out of my own interest in the Amish/Mennonite culture and of living in the country. Its a place for people who are interested in the Amish like myself, and its also a place to share Images of the beautiful country side that is all around me. my name is Richard, and I live very close to an Amish settlement here in Pennsylvania. This site is dedicated to my mother, who had started all of this by taking me as a child to Lancaster,pa from our apartment in the Bronx projects..........THANK YOU MOM............... Richard