.

.

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Part one of Lancaster on four wheels: The horse has left the barn, but can it find its way back home! Plus a recipe for Elvis Presley's pound cake.



First let me say that I enjoy calling anything  (posts)  with the word "wheels" in it as some of you folks have seen in some previous post's from myself, so I've kind of created a mini franchise of sorts with these, with this one being my latest. 

And in keeping with my personal policy of trying to keep my own post's from becoming  as long  winded as possible, this one goes out relatively lean with less fat and I hope everyone enjoys that fact. 

And like  the original Rocky staring Sylvester Stallone this series seems to have no end in sight, and  what helps  keep me very interested in doing them is the fact that I never know what ill find or capture along the way. Enjoy folks. Richard              Part 2 next Thursday.



GPS navigation not needed as I go old school, and dont worry I wont be asking for directions as real men ride around  until they run out of gas!

I could stare at that view for hours I really can, but I wonder how long its still going to be there? 







While in Lancaster I stopped at one of my favorite watering holes being Jennies Diner in Ronks, although I've noticed in some of my last visits that the place seems to be slipping in its charm. And a few renovations are definitely  in order for this diner, so over-looking those is no longer possible for me and Jennies is slowly working its way from my own list of must "eats". I do hope that this place gets back on track because the competition is not sleeping, and some folks dont have the patience that I have to wait for these changes to happen! (see my diner review of Jennies on the lower right side of Amish Stories)


Lets see I'm only 2,568 miles from Las Vegas, and who says I'm not really lost! I'm still not asking for directions.
The Amish owners of this horse were inside a hardware store, which by the way were giving out free hot dogs that I can proudly say I took part in. And were they so very happy as I tried to walk off with a full box of cooked and dressed dogs, I know folks I have no shame!
 Does this quilt make my car look fat, I'm just saying but does it really!
Amish farm in the back ground
Since I was in a Mustang it was only natural to stop for a change of horse shoes.

Me and the Mustang take in some fresh air.

A few colorful Amish scooters for sale, and Im just waiting for someone to put a motor on one.
One of my best shots of the day with me getting very lucky capturing this image, I have another gem coming on part 2 of Lancaster on four wheels next Thursday so stay tuned.                                                                         Richard 


Elvis Presley's Pound Cake

The king supposedly loved this very recipe! 

3 cups granulated sugar
1/2 pound butter, softened
7 eggs, at room temperature
3 cups cake flour, sifted twice, divided
1 cup whipping cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Butter and flour a 10-inch tube pan.

Thoroughly cream together sugar and butter. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in half the flour, then the whipping cream, then the other half of the flour. Add vanilla extract. Pour batter into prepared pan. Set in a COLD oven and turn heat to 350 degrees F. Bake 60 to 70 minutes, until a sharp knife inserted in cake comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool thoroughly.  From www.Recipegoldmine.com


www.PureCountryLiving.com

I've created this website out of my own interest in the Amish/Mennonite culture and of living in the country. Its a place for people who are interested in the Amish like myself, and its also a place to share Images of the beautiful country side that is all around me. my name is Richard, and I live very close to an Amish settlement here in Pennsylvania. This site is dedicated to my mother, who had started all of this by taking me as a child to Lancaster,pa from our apartment in the Bronx projects..........THANK YOU MOM............... Richard