.

.

Friday, December 16, 2011

Fall in Lancasters Amish community with 2 recipe's from Jean

I think that i love the fall as much as any time of the year here in our Amish communities of Lebanon and Lancaster counties, with activities still going strong even right through Winter. Things do seem to slow down a bit in January but that does not mean we wait inside our homes until spring, there is still many things to do and see and i cherish these times and appreciate  them nevertheless.
 All of these images were taken in November in Lancaster county, with me spotting this air balloon getting ready to take-off in Bird-in-hand while i was on my way to a bakery that was across the street. I did get to the bakery and had a nice hot cup of coffee to help warm me up a little, and maybe a whoopie-pie to help give my hands something to do of course!         Richard

Being in an environment  like this always helps give me a sense of calmness and balance, and i never seem to be able to get enough of it. 
 

Do you see the flames!

 
This is called Holiday Breakfast Souffle but I use it several times a year for Sunday. I can make this the night before and pour in a metal pan. I leave it in the refrigerator over night and put it in the oven when I get up in the morning. While it's cooking David and Michael are milking the cows and I am getting myself, Susan and Baby David dressed. When the men come in we eat this for breakfast. The men get dressed for meeting (church) while I finish up on the children. We all leave with a good breakfast in us. This is made by the Old Order Mennonite and the Amish. Holiday Breakfast Souffle: 8 eggs 6 slices bread, cubed (use crust) 1 lb. sausage or bacon crumbled 2 c. milk 1 c. sharp cheddar cheese, grated 1 tsp salt 1 tsp dry mustard Mix milk, salt, mustard and eggs. Pour over other ingredient's tossing lightly. Pour into a greased 9" x 13" pan. Refrigerate 1 hour. Bake 35 minutes at 350 degrees.     Enjoy. Jean
Best Ever Fudge: 1 lb. butter 1/2 lb. Velveeta cheese 1/2 lb cream cheese 1 1/4 cups cocoa 4 lbs powdered sugar 1 lb chopped nuts 1 tsp vanilla Melt butter, cheeses, cocoa, and vanilla on low heat. When melted take off burner and add sugar and nuts. You will find you have a hard time stirring-so I use my hands. Pour onto an un-greased cookie sheet and refrigerate. Cut into small pieces. Hope you like it!    Jean

Next Monday jeans final Christmas post will be published instead of Tuesday. With Martha's Christmas post going up on Wednesday and my own post for Friday, these will be the last post's for 2011 and i hope to see you folks there!

www.PureCountryLiving.com

I've created this website out of my own interest in the Amish/Mennonite culture and of living in the country. Its a place for people who are interested in the Amish like myself, and its also a place to share Images of the beautiful country side that is all around me. my name is Richard, and I live very close to an Amish settlement here in Pennsylvania. This site is dedicated to my mother, who had started all of this by taking me as a child to Lancaster,pa from our apartment in the Bronx projects..........THANK YOU MOM............... Richard