.

.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Recipe of the week: Snicker doodles and Veggie pancakes from Jean. With some pictures of the snow storm from this Oct.

 Snicker doodles:  Jean says this is a very common Mennonite and Amish recipe. She makes it when she goes to Susan's school or if there are school parties-also makes them at home for family or visitors. Everyone seems to like them. Snicker doodles 1 c. shortening 1 1/2 c. sugar 2 eggs 2 3/4 c. flour 2 tsp. cream of tarter 1 tsp. baking soda 1/2 tsp. salt Cinnamon sugar Set oven at 400 degrees. Cream together the shortening and sugar. Add eggs. Mix together the flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt, add to first mixture. Chill 15 minutes. Roll into balls the size of walnuts. Roll each into cinnamon/sugar. Bake on non-greased cookie sheet for 8 to 10 minutes. Enjoy. Jean



 Veggie pancakes: Put in a blender or through a good grinder.... 1/2 medium size onion 2 medium-sized potatoes 3 carrots 2 cups fresh spinach (sometimes I use squash) 1/4 of 1 lettuce head Blend in 2 eggs, well beaten Sift together and stir into vegetables 1 Cup sifted flour 1 tsp. baking powder 1/2 tsp salt 1/8 tsp pepper Mix well and drop by spoonfuls into a hot fat skillet or pan. Flatten to about 1/2" thick. Cook on both sides until golden brown. Serve plain or with Cheese Sauce. Makes 12 pancakes.     And some images that i took this Sat of our early snow fall, something not seen this early since 1972.   Richard 
Not my home, but close
Pump outside my home
The leaves never had time to fall off yet!
The early snow has given this a Christmas kind of feeling
Me peeking through the tree's
I thought they were kidding when they said it would snow!
Was this really Halloween week coming up?
Corn Field across from my home

www.PureCountryLiving.com

I've created this website out of my own interest in the Amish/Mennonite culture and of living in the country. Its a place for people who are interested in the Amish like myself, and its also a place to share Images of the beautiful country side that is all around me. my name is Richard, and I live very close to an Amish settlement here in Pennsylvania. This site is dedicated to my mother, who had started all of this by taking me as a child to Lancaster,pa from our apartment in the Bronx projects..........THANK YOU MOM............... Richard