.

.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Lapp's wood shops retail show room. A Lancaster county Amish business. Look for part 2 this Friday as i tour Lapp's factory.

  • 





The first time that i had gone to Lapp's wood shop i was met by a very nice older Amish woman whom i spoke to and asked if i could not only take some pictures of the finished products that they made, but to also go in the back of the shop to see where and how their wood products were made. I was politely told that because of insurance reasons i was not allowed to view their wood shop (factory), If this were the very beginning of when i first started Amish Stories i would have just given-up and done the best of what was offered to me. But that was then and this is now and as I've become more experienced in interviewing and trying to get a story i stopped by a second time, and on this trip i was able to get what i really wanted.






 You see that very nice Amish woman who greeted me at the door is John Lapps mother, what made this attempt more successful is because I was able to catch John himself and talk with him. After myself and John started talking a little and me trying to explain what i wanted to do he was fully on board and ready to let me take my pictures. The difference between John and his mom is the fact that he realizes how important the Internet can be to your business regardless if your Amish or not, and this is a very big difference that I'm finding between the older generation of the Amish and the younger one's. And it does not make John any smarter than his own mother, but i think its his younger age and being aware of computers and the Internet is what helps separate both generations of Amish.








And its something I'm seeing more and more as i go out among them to talk and for stories. So no particular group is wrong or right in all of this, and i think the bottom line is just being born in the age of this technology and at least being open to using it can make the difference for letting someone like myself in to take pictures . John was very welcoming to me and had pretty much let me take shots of anything that i had wanted, in fact i was expecting a written letter from John of him explaining why and when he got into this business, but sadly that note never came.




This post was going to be the first of the 5 Amish shops that i had gone over to this summer, mainly because of the timing of the holidays i wanted to give folks a chance to order from Johns shop for holiday gifts. Now i receive nothing from any business from doing this, its only my way of paying back someone who i thought was very nice and who assisted me through cooperation in making this post the best that i could make it. Lapp's has been in business for over 25 years, and John and his family have owned it now for a few years since buying it from his cousin. And i can understand that John was not able to send me that note, in fact he had told me that "he's not a writer". Here is that web site and just click on


  www.lappstoysandfurniture.com         
Richard              

 
Outside of Lapp's retail business in Lancaster county
Lapp's retail  showroom
The wood shop is right next door
I thought this was pretty neat, and so did this young man!
John Lapp makes everything but these pot holders,  they are Amish made though.
I really like these Amish buggies, they are about a foot long.
Amish Apple Fritters


8 medium firm cooking apples


1/4 cup brown sugar


1/4 cup lemon juice


1 cup all-purpose flour


1/4 cup granulated sugar


1/2 teaspoon cinnamon


1/4 teaspoon salt


2 eggs, separated


Grated rind of 1 lemon


1/2 cup milk


Confectioners' sugar






Peel and slice the apples into 1/4-inch slices.






Combine the brown sugar and lemon juice in a 10-inch shallow dish. Add the apple slices, spooning the sauce over both sides of the fruit. Allow to stand for 1 hour, turning occasionally.






Heat 3 inches of oil in a heavy skillet.






Combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Recipe from Recipe goldmine. Richard from Amish Stories






Don't miss this Fridays post as i tour Lapp's wood shop and post images of its factory.

www.PureCountryLiving.com

I've created this website out of my own interest in the Amish/Mennonite culture and of living in the country. Its a place for people who are interested in the Amish like myself, and its also a place to share Images of the beautiful country side that is all around me. my name is Richard, and I live very close to an Amish settlement here in Pennsylvania. This site is dedicated to my mother, who had started all of this by taking me as a child to Lancaster,pa from our apartment in the Bronx projects..........THANK YOU MOM............... Richard