.

.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Amish Stories remembers "The Walton's". The Thanksgiving post.


HAPPY THANKSGIVING FROM AMISH STORIES and the Walton family.




My thoughts on the TV show The Walton's...... My recollection of the Walton's for this post will be totally based from my memory, and the last time that I could remember watching this show must be at least 15 years ago. So this should be interesting as I read my own thoughts of what I remember, and this is somewhat an experiment for me to see what I can come up with.


The year was 1971 and remember watching a really enjoyable movie called the Home coming, sometimes age does have its benefits because I watched this TV made movie live at that time. This was the perfect holiday movie and I remember loving all of the characters in it and the time period that it was set in, so I was really happy to find out the next year that this TV movie was made into a regular television series for the 1972 season.
 The TV shows that I've always been attracted to as a child were family shows, and for me the Walton's was the watermark for these type of shows and remains the best of the best from any year since. What I really loved about this show is the fact it was based on real life occurrences from the life of Earl Hammer jr during his youth growing up in the depression of the 1930s.




If love itself were based on wealth, the Walton's would have been considered one of the wealthiest families around, so they were poor only on the surface. I wont hide the fact that my favorite character  on the show was John Boy, he was a deep thinker who had a gift for writing and expressing himself extremely eloquently for his years. John Boy was also the oldest of the siblings,   which brought on extra responsibilities of being the man of the house when his dad was not around.


He had dreams and an imagination that went far beyond his modest home and surrounding's on Walton's mountain, and I wanted to be like his character in so many ways. His parents John Walton Sr and Olivia Walton were fine people just trying to get through another year in what would be some of the most trying times in American history. And they somehow came through with grace and honesty and were wonderful parents to this large family. Grandma and grandpa Walton were the monarchs in the family hierarchy, wise with knowledge and experience, and I loved the fact that they still loved each other  so much  after all the years spent together. I really enjoyed how silly grandpa could be at times, yet when the time was called he could provide much needed guidance and advice to the rest of the family when called upon.  Richard                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
John boy always seemed deep in thought, and i admired the person he was very much


Grandpa always seemed to be getting into trouble, yet how could you be mad at him for very long


The Walton's is an American television series created by Earl Hamner, Jr., based on his book Spencer's Mountain, and a 1963 film of the same name. The show centered on a family growing up in a rural Virginia community during the Great Depression and World War II. The series pilot was a television movie entitled The Homecoming: A Christmas Story, broadcast in 1971. The show originally aired on CBS from 1972 to 1981. I would like to thank Paul from www.dvdtalk.com for providing me with these images for this Walton's post.  Richard from Amish Stories.

Sometimes words only get in the way when expressing ones love, and John and Olivia did that beautifully

I never knew any of my grandpa's,  but if i had ever met one of them i would have wished he was like grandpa Walton!

They had what some family's long for, which was their strong love for each other


Mamie and Emily Baldwin drinking their  famous recipe

John Boy reflecting on his thoughts of the day
With the last Walton saying good night................

www.PureCountryLiving.com

I've created this website out of my own interest in the Amish/Mennonite culture and of living in the country. Its a place for people who are interested in the Amish like myself, and its also a place to share Images of the beautiful country side that is all around me. my name is Richard, and I live very close to an Amish settlement here in Pennsylvania. This site is dedicated to my mother, who had started all of this by taking me as a child to Lancaster,pa from our apartment in the Bronx projects..........THANK YOU MOM............... Richard