.

.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Amish Stories honors: The Original Ford Mustang. With recipes from Marilyn!

My Mustang story: I've had two Ford Mustang's in my life, yet I'm been a fan since i was very young. As a child id play a game while traveling with my family id call "what year was it made" as i would quickly study certain passing cars of that particular  year and try to guess which model and what year that it was made. Since a total re-design would usually take place for most domestic car makers every 4 years, it was the more subtle changes that proved much more challenging which i enjoyed that would include brake light's or slight trim changes. So you see I've always loved cars and had my first pedal car around late 1964, the same year the Ford Mustang made it debut at the 1964  worlds fair in New York. Mustang's have changed quite a bit since 1964 yet the basic goodness has stayed the same which is rear wheel drive and affordable fun, although is getting harder to say affordable with a straight face today. And the best of all, my Mustang represents freedom and American ingenuity wrapped -up in fun. Very few cars today that are  still made  can generate so many fond memories and stories from its owners, and I'm very proud to be able to say I'm playing a small part in the history that is the Ford Mustang. Richard
My very own Mustang, and this horse sure brings a smile to my face !

Freda Bateman's Double Chocolate Chip Cookies


Recipe's from our very  own Marilyn of New York




2 12 OZ. packs of chocolate chips


Package of nuts (walnut or pecan)


3 Cups sifted flour


1 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda


My Mustang again!
1/2 teaspoon salt


1 1/2 cups light brown sugar (packed)


1 1/2 sticks margarine


2 tablespoons water


2 eggs






Sift flour, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl. Put sugar, margarine and water in saucepan. After butter melts partially turn burner off-butter will melt while you stir. After margarine is completely melted start adding one bag of chocolate chips while you continue to stir. When chips are partially melted in bowl-wait 5 minutes, then add 1 egg at a time, beating in each egg individually. With mixer on low add flour, soda, and salt mixture slowly. Just before putting dough on cookie sheets add the second bag of chocolate chips and nuts. Place dough teaspoon size on cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.






This Oatmeal Cookie Recipe came out of Betty Crocker's Good and Easy Cook Book that came out in 1954. I made these cookies for my Dad from the 1950's until he passed away in the 1990's. I tried different recipes, but this, to my Dad, was the best, so I gave up on all the others and used this one. I haven't made these since my Dad passed away in 1998. Marilyn






Stir-Drop Oatmeal Cookies






1 cup sifted flour                                                 


1 tsp baking powder


1/2 tsp salt


1/2 tsp cinnamon


1/2 tsp ginger


1 Cup brown sugar (packed)


1 Cup quick rolled oats (I used Quaker Oats you can get at the grocery store)


1/4 cup cooking (salad) oil                                                                
2 tbsp milk                                                                            


1 egg                                                                                  


3/4 cup Spanish peanuts (my Dad preferred raisins or chocolate chips instead of peanuts)






Heat over to 375 degrees. Sift flour, baking powder, salt, spices into bowl. Add brown sugar, rolled oats. Mix in thoroughly oil, milk, egg. Add peanuts (or raisins or chocolate chips). Drop with teaspoon 2" apart on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes just until a light touch with finger leaves no imprint. Recipe makes about 3 doz. cookies.






The following recipe comes from a restaurant that was in business for many years-but was sold a few years ago. The name of the restaurant was Kellogg's Pan, Tree Motor Inn. When Kellogg's (not the cereal people) sold the restaurant-they took the recipes. I got this recipe from the original, Mr. Kellogg, owner many years before his children closed the restaurant when he turned it over to them.






French Silk Chocolate Pie







Cream 3/4 Butter


Add gradually and cream well 1 cup and 2 tbsp. granulated sugar


Blend in:


1 1/2 squares melted Chocolate


1 1/2 tsp Vanilla


Add 3 Eggs, ONE AT A TIME, beating (medium speed) 5 minutes after each Egg.


Pour into cooled Graham Cracker Shell


Chill 1 to 2 hours.  Images profided by Aldenjewell and Aussiefordaverts both of Flickr.  Richard from Amish Stories.

The Amish cook on Thursday, and on Friday a new post on Arthur  Illinois Amish settlement along with a pumpkin whoopie pie recipe!


www.PureCountryLiving.com

I've created this website out of my own interest in the Amish/Mennonite culture and of living in the country. Its a place for people who are interested in the Amish like myself, and its also a place to share Images of the beautiful country side that is all around me. my name is Richard, and I live very close to an Amish settlement here in Pennsylvania. This site is dedicated to my mother, who had started all of this by taking me as a child to Lancaster,pa from our apartment in the Bronx projects..........THANK YOU MOM............... Richard