.

.

Monday, August 1, 2011

And now an important message from "Winter"



I hear you have been suffering though a drought and unbearable heat so far this summer, so the question is "do you miss me". If I remember correctly you couldn’t wait to get rid of me, and yes I heard you cursing me while you traveled to work in the morning navigating through ice and snow. I would be lying if I didn’t say that my feelings were not hurt, but I never was any good holding a grudge. So lets make a deal with each other, I promise not to complain when you throw salt in my wounds during winter as long as you don’t wish me out of your life so fast. So don’t worry so much about the heat because I'm coming, and with all this heat that’s not such a very bad thing. Yours truly. Winter
And now for a hearty meal to warm your bones while thinking about your old buddy "Winter".

Corn & Beef Hash
1 cup (5 oz) dried corn***


2 cups boiling water
¼ cup chopped green pepper
¼ cup chopped onion
2 Tbsp shortening
½ lb ground beef
1 1/3 cups canned tomatoes
½ cup hot water
½ cup pre-cooked rice
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper



Two hours or more before dinner, begin soaking corn in the boiling water.



Thirty minutes before dinner, saute the green pepper and onion in the 2 Tbsp of melted shortening until onions are golden brown.



Add the ground beef and brown for 5 minutes before adding remaining ingredients, including soaked corn. Cover and simmer slowly for 20 minutes.



***Note: Cope’s Heat & Serve canned corn can also be used in this recipe. Use one 15 oz can of corn instead of 1 cup dried corn and 2 cups boiling water. Use all other ingredients as mentioned.
Published with permission from John Cope www.farmstandfoods.com    Richard from Amish Stories . On Tuesday Jean and Davids special post , i found it compelling and a very emotional  story about the accident in New York state involving its 6 Amish victims. David was there and tells his story on what he saw, and how he felt.

www.PureCountryLiving.com

I've created this website out of my own interest in the Amish/Mennonite culture and of living in the country. Its a place for people who are interested in the Amish like myself, and its also a place to share Images of the beautiful country side that is all around me. my name is Richard, and I live very close to an Amish settlement here in Pennsylvania. This site is dedicated to my mother, who had started all of this by taking me as a child to Lancaster,pa from our apartment in the Bronx projects..........THANK YOU MOM............... Richard