.

.

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Recipe of the week : Amish Bean Soup


Amish Bean Soup

Brown 2 or 3 Tbs. butter in saucepan. Add 1 cup cooked beans and 1/4 cup water. Bring to a boil, then add about 3 quarts milk, salt and pepper to taste. Add a dash of allspice. Boil, then remove from stove. Add about 2 quarts stale, thinly sliced bread, or enough to thicken. Cover and let stand about 1/2 hour before serving. Serve with pickled red beets or pickles.




This excellent collection of authentic Amish recipes will be a treasured addition to any cookbook collection. Includes Amish home remedies. 217 pages, 5-1/2" x 8-1/2", comb bound, illustrated.To order this cook book please see our friends at www.Amishshop.com.      Richard from Amish Stories





New post on Monday of Lebanon county's Amish settlement with a whoopie pie recipe.









www.PureCountryLiving.com

I've created this website out of my own interest in the Amish/Mennonite culture and of living in the country. Its a place for people who are interested in the Amish like myself, and its also a place to share Images of the beautiful country side that is all around me. my name is Richard, and I live very close to an Amish settlement here in Pennsylvania. This site is dedicated to my mother, who had started all of this by taking me as a child to Lancaster,pa from our apartment in the Bronx projects..........THANK YOU MOM............... Richard