.

.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Jean's : Homemade Doughnut recipe

Jean is old order Mennonite from New York State.Jean and her husband David and family live on a dairy farm, and travel their community using horse and buggy. She tells her story exclusively on Amish Stories.


Jean's Homemade Doughnuts

4 egg yolks (or 2 whole eggs)
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp soft shortening
3/4 cup thick buttermilk or sour milk
3 1/2 cups sifted flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Beat eggs well. Add sugar, and shortening and beat. Stir in butter milk or sour milk. In a separate bowl sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon together. Stir into other ingredients. Chill dough for 2 hours. Heat fat while rolling and cutting doughnuts. Fry until brown. Serve plain, sugared or glazed. For the Farmers Market I sometimes melt some sweet chocolate and dip the top of the donuts in there and let it set.  Enjoy! Jean                                                                                                                    
The Amish cook this Thursday along with a new post from myself on Friday of the Terre Hill Days festival in Lancaster Pennsylvania. And don't miss the image of its famous outhouse race !.

www.PureCountryLiving.com

I've created this website out of my own interest in the Amish/Mennonite culture and of living in the country. Its a place for people who are interested in the Amish like myself, and its also a place to share Images of the beautiful country side that is all around me. my name is Richard, and I live very close to an Amish settlement here in Pennsylvania. This site is dedicated to my mother, who had started all of this by taking me as a child to Lancaster,pa from our apartment in the Bronx projects..........THANK YOU MOM............... Richard